As per the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology Act, 1965 (Odisha Act 17 of 1965), the OUAT is empowered to provide instruction, training and research in agriculture; to provide for advancement and dissemination of knowledge in the field and extension programmes in agriculture; to institute courses of study and to hold examinations for, and to confer degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions on persons who have pursued a course of study, or carried on research in the University or in an institution recognized by the University; and to confer honorary degrees or other academic distinctions as prescribed. The University is also authorized to create teaching, research and extension posts required by the University. The University is empowered to institute and award fellowship including traveling fellowship, scholarship and prizes in accordance with the Statutes. The University is authorized to take over and maintain Colleges relating to agriculture, fisheries, dairying, veterinary, medicine and animal sciences, home science, agricultural engineering, forestry and allied sciences and hostels attached to such Colleges. Apart from classroom teaching, the University is empowered to provide such lectures and instructions for and to grant such diplomas to field workers, and other persons as the University may determine. The University also has responsibility to regulate the conduct of the students, maintain discipline among them and to make arrangement for their health and welfare..
As per the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology Act, 1965 (Odisha Act 17 of 1965), the Governor shall be the Chancellor of the University. He shall by virtue of his office, be the head of the University. He, when present, presides over the convocation of the University and may confer degrees at such convocation.
The Minister of Agriculture, Odisha shall, by virtue of his office, be the Pro-Chancellor of the University. He shall exercise such powers and perform such functions of the Chancellor as may be:
- Conferred on or assigned to him by or under this Act (OUAT Act, 1965 as corrected up to 1984) and the Statutes, and
- Delegated to him by the Chancellor by order in writing, subject to the restrictions and conditions as may be specified in such orders,
- In the absence of the Chancellor, the Pro-Chancellor shall preside over and confer degrees at the convocation of the University.
AUTHORITIES OF THE UNIVERSITY
The following shall be the authorities of the University, namely
- the Board of Management
- the Academic Council
- the Board of Faculties
- the Finance Committee, and
- Such other authorities as may be constituted by the Statutes.
- Research and Extension Council
Board of Management
The Vice Chancellor is the Chairman of the Board of Management. The Board of Management of the University is the policy making body for the functioning of the University in all its spheres. The Board of Management approves the annual budget and estimates and annual accounts of the University. It appoints teachers of the University, make such other appointments as may be prescribed and approve the appointments made by the Vice-Chancellor. It holds, controls and administers the property and funds of the University; approve the transfer of any movable and immovable property belonging to the University. It administers any public or private funds placed at the disposal of and accepted by the University for specific purposes; invest money belonging to the University. It designs the form and gives directions for the use of the common seal of the University. It appoints such committees, whether standing or temporary, as it deems necessary for the proper discharge of the functions of the Board.
The Board consists of the following members:
- Principal Secretary to Govt. of Odisha, Agriculture Department
- Additional Secretary to Government of Odisha, Finance Department
- Director of Agriculture and Food Production, Govt. of Odisha
- Two members to be nominated by Government from among Agricultural Scientists of repute.
- Two members to be nominated by Government from among eminent progressive farmers of the State.
- Two members to be elected by the members of Odisha Legislative Assembly from among themselves.
- One member to be nominated by Government from among distinguished engineers.
- One member to be nominated by Government from among eminent educationists.
- One member to be nominated by Government in consultation with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- Ex-Officio Secretary- Registrar
The Board may in respect of any meeting thereof, co opt such members as it needs fit from among officers in the employment of Government who shall have a right to take part in the proceedings at such meeting but shall not have the right to vote.
- The Commissioner-cum-Secretary to Government of Odisha, Fisheries and Animal Resources Development Department, Bhubaneswar
- Commissioner-cum-Secretary to Government of Odisha, Employment and Technical Education & Training Department, Bhubaneswar.
- Commissioner-cum-Secretary to Government of Odisha, Water Resources Department, Bhubaneswar
- Principal Secretary to Government of Odisha, Forest and Environment Department, Bhubaneswar
- Director, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services, Odisha, Cuttack
The Academic Council shall consist of the following members
- Deans of Faculties
- Dean of Student Welfare
- Dean of Research
- Dean of Extension Education
- Heads of Departments of various Faculties
Photographs of Academic Council meeting
The Vice-Chancellor shall be the Chairman of the Academic Council and in his absence any other member authorized by him shall act as the Chairman of the said Council.
The Academic Council shall have the following Standing Committees –
- Committee to deal with extension and research
- Committee to deal with library
- Committee to deal with appointment of paper setters, examiners, Board of Examiners and Moderators
- Committee on student discipline and welfare including hostel accommodation in Colleges
Each Standing Committee of the Academic Council specified above should be composed of not more than 5 members of the Academic Council including the Vice-Chancellor, who shall be the Chairman of such Committee and other members of each such Committee shall be selected by the Vice-Chancellor annually from among the members of the Academic Council.
Board of Faculty
The Board of Faculty shall consist of the following members –
- Dean of the Faculty
- Heads of Departments of the Faculty
- Dean of Research
- Dean of Extension Education
The Dean of the Faculty shall be the Chairman of the Board of Faculty and one of the Head of the Departments may work as member-secretary.
The Finance Committee shall consist of the following members:
- A representative of the State Government in Agriculture Department
- A representative of the State Government in Finance Department
- One member to be chosen by the Board from amongst its non-official members; and
The Vice-Chancellor shall be the Chairman and the Comptroller shall be the ex-officio Secretary of the Finance Committee.
The Finance Committee shall have the following powers.
- to examine annual accounts of the University and to advise the Board thereon,
- to examine the annual budget estimates of the University and to advise the Board thereon,
- to review the financial position of the University from time to time,
- to make recommendations to the University on all matters relating the finance of the University; and
- to make recommendations to the Board on all proposals involving expenditure for which no provision has been made in the budget or which involves expenditure in excess of the amount provided in the budget.
DECISION MAKING PROCESS
The Act and Statutes of the University have provisions to create authorities to assist the Board of Management of make decisions on administrative, financial and academic matters including students’ welfare. These authorities make recommendations to the Board for its consideration and final decision. The Board of Management also has been empowered to appoint committees, sub-committees, standing or temporary, for its proper functioning.
The decisions with regard to academic activities of the university are processed in three stages. At the lowest level, the Board of Faculty makes its recommendations which are placed in the Academic Council. Academic Council is also empowered to take independent decision on academic matters. The Board of Management considers the recommendation of the Board of Faculties and Academic Council and gives its assent.
Research and Extension Council makes recommendations on all matters relating to research and extension activities, which originate from the zonal research stations. The zonal Research Advisory Council includes the zonal stations, extension specialists and teaching departments of the University, other research institutions located in the zone, line departments and farmers’ representatives and it provides operational frame work for formulating research agenda. The Education Council suggests measures to improve the educational quality and standard in the University.
Students are also actively involved in decision making in various co-curricular activities of the University, management of the activities of the hostel and students’ Union of the Colleges. The sports and cultural activities are monitored by the Dean, Students’ Welfare. The students’ meetings are organized periodically by the respective Deans of the Faculties to discuss the students’ problem/suggestions and to find out solutions as far as possible.
The Vice-Chancellor is the head of personnel, financial and campus management of the University. The Registrar of the University provides necessary support to take decision on service matters of both teaching and non-teaching staff. The different committees/ sub-committee of the Board of Management provide necessary inputs, guidelines and suggestions to enhance the academic and administrative capabilities of the University. The necessary support to carry out the financial administration and management of the physical facilities are provided by the Comptroller and the Director of Physical Plants, respectively. The Director, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation looks after project planning for the University, preparation of various reports of the University vis-a-vis monitoring of the projects.
LINES OF COMMAND
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive. He is the Academic Head of the University and Chairman of the Board of Management and Academic Council. The Board of Management and the Academic Council are the apex bodies, which take decisions on administrative, financial and academic matters. The Academic Council, Board of Faculties, Finance Committee, Research, Extension and Education Council, Sports and Cultural Council and various sub-committees make suggestions/ recommendations to the Board to take final and appropriate decisions.
The financial and budgetary matters are channelized through the Comptroller whereas general administrative matters are channeled through the Registrar. The Dean, Post Graduate Faculty and Director of Residential Instructions coordinates the academic activities of the university and constituent colleges. There is a Dean for each Faculty who is responsible for due observance of statute and regulations relating to the Faculty. The colleges with under graduate programmes are headed by Associate Deans /Directors. The Heads of the Departments are appointed by the Vice-Chancellor. The regulations with regard to academic administration including admission and award of degrees are communicated through the Registrar.
The programmes relating to research and extension activities are executed through the Dean of Research and Dean of Extension Education, respectively. The student’s co-curricular activities are monitored by the Dean, Students’ Welfare. The construction, repair and maintenance of the buildings and other physical facilities are monitored by the Director, Physical Plants (DPP). The central library and related services are looked after by the Chief Librarian to meet the needs of the teaching, research and extension programmes. The schematic diagram indicating the channel of communication is presented in Fig. 3.3.
The Planning Monitoring and Evaluation cell (PME) of the University has been created in July, 1993 with the following objectives.
- Preparation of Prospective Planning and Evaluation of various University activities.
- Evaluation of teaching, research, extension and administration and suggestion for improvement.
- Preparation of overall prospective development plans (both long-term and short-term), five year plans, annual plans, special projects pertaining to the University including teaching, research, extension, campus development and finance in consultation with the Deans/Directors and other officers of the University for effective and balanced use of resources.
- Conduct studies on problem areas like manpower requirement, admission policy, examination reforms and resource utilization, etc.
- Consultancy services for conducting evaluation studies of various organizations.
- Building data bank on the various activities of the University for future projects.
- Maintain linkage with the State Government departments, ICAR, State Agricultural Universities, Govt. of India and other organizations..
GOVERNANCE IN BRIEF
The Board of Management is the highest policy making body of the university and the Vice-Chancellor is its Chairman. The ex-officio members of the board are the secretaries of the Govt. Department of Finance, Agriculture, Fishery and Animal Resource Development and Director of Agriculture and Food Production. The other members are two agricultural scientists of repute, two progressive farmers, two sitting MLAs, one distinguished engineer, one eminent educationist, one ICAR representative, all nominated by Govt. of Odisha. The Board is advised on academic and administrative matters by the academic council, board of faculties, finance committee and research and extension council.
The academic council consists of Vice-Chancellor as its Chairman, Deans, Directors and Heads of the departments, Director, PME and the Registrar as the Member Secretary.